Wednesday 24 September 2014

Kugluktuk day 2 - Bloody Falls!

Bloody Falls was breathtaking! We woke up at 7 and had pancakes for breakfast. Then we packed up for Bloody Falls with the class we met yesterday and left on jet boats down the Copper Mine river. The boat ride was 30 minutes long and the scenery was beautiful. When we got there we set up a base camp and just started walking around. We started off in a group but slowly broke off from each other as we went along. When I was on my own I came to a little cliff face with a ledge on the side, when I looked out from the ledge, I could see a massive flat area that stretched out miles in front of me. It was a cool feeling being around an area that has no visible signs of humans for such a long distance. Bloody Falls got it name when a rival group of natives snuck across the river and massacred the other tribe killing men, women, and children. the only survivor was an old woman who witnessed it all from far away and then hopped in a kayak and hurried down river and told the story. When we were there we had hotdogs and a variety of other snacks for lunch along with tea and hot chocolate throughout the day. One boy my age named Vern showed me a perfect spot to lie down on my stomach and drink water right out of the river. One of the food items I was persuaded to try was Klik (which is the equivalent of Spam) on tea biscuits which the local kids enjoyed, I although did not find it as alluring as they did. We left at 2 and I had throughly enjoy the trip and the ride back to Kugluktuk. Dinner is being prepared as I write and tonight we have plans to watch a movie.
-To be continued... Jaxon!
Here are some photos of our trip to Bloody Falls.





















No comments:

Post a Comment